A selection of software I’m running on my MacBook Air
I just upgraded my laptop so now is a good time as any to take stock of which apps I’m bringing over from my old machine.
Browsers – I work on the web all day and need to make sure the sites I work on look good in all browsers. I often have one browser cookied with all my default identities and then use the other two as test browsers where I clear cookies & cache on a regular basis to start fresh.
- Google Chrome
- Pocket – to save longish articles you want to read later
- Save to Google Drive – useful for uploading screen captures to Google Drive library where thumbnail view can be used as a library of site designs
- Mozilla Firefox
- Abduction! – adds “save page as image” to File menu so you can archive pages for later
- Adobe Flash – yeah, it’s still needed sometimes
- Apple Safari
Apps from the App Store
- Numbers – spreadsheet of choice
- Keynote – prefer it to PowerPoint
- TinyGrab – great for quickly sharing screenshots to illustrate something
- Pixelmator – a low cost alternative to PhotoShop. I prefer Paint.net but that only runs on Windows.
- TextWrangler – my text editor
- Twitter – yeah, I use the app.
- My Balsamic – used less now that the team is on MyBalsamiq
- Caffeine – great little menu bar item that will keep your laptop from going to sleep
Apps downloaded from elsewhere