Online media executive with experience across the ecosystem. From publishing, distribution, integration through to partnerships, the teams I lead use technology to amplify impact. Optimistic on the promise of supervised AI to enhance content production provided it is both transparent and correctable.
Director, Media Operations, SmartNews; SF & NY — 2015-2023
- Ran team that onboarded and monitored thousands of publisher feeds into SmartNews for integrity and completeness.
- Designed and built custom CRM in Notion to manage publisher relationships and configuration details.
- Designed and built self-serve portal for prospective publishers using WordPress and Airtable, increasing number of publishers and reducing onboarding time.
- Managed rule set that helped classify articles and maintain quality and relevance for SmartNews users.
- Collaborated with editorial teams to configure content mix on local and topic-specific channels increasing user acquisition and engagement.
- Worked on initial process and tools for breaking and scheduled push notification products.
- Introduced initial monetization in SmartNews US Edition using Facebook Audience Network.
- Designed and ran multiple a/b tests to improve user on-boarding.
Director of Product, Gigaom; San Francisco — 2011-2015
- Designed and managed redesign of free and premium websites with new branding, improved ad-placement logic, integrated newsletter sign-up flow, and premium content subscription funnel.
- Leveraged MailChimp API and WordPress categories to produce hundreds of topic-specific newsletters matched to user-interest expressed via reading behavior.
- Converted mobile application to responsive mobile web site, integrated acquired site, paidcontent.org
Head of Innovation, Nokia; Helsinki — 2008-2011
- Ran team that hosted several internal and one external Hackday event.
- Lead Product Manager on a connected address book prototype built out of Berlin.
Senior Product Manager, Yahoo; San Francisco — 2005-2008
- Product Manager for MyBlogLog, a distributed social network that developed one of the first implementations of a newsfeed and innovative friend-finder product.
- Rolled out branded blogs across multiple Yahoo properties.
- Two-time winner of corporate hackday contest.
Director, Sales & Partner Development, Six Apart; SF — 2004-2005
- Set up channel sales group that prospected, trained, and launched corporate blogs for many Fortune 500 and top media companies.
- Worked with NBC to create first mobile photo blog to help their reporters publish stories on aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
Product Manager, Dow Jones; Tokyo & Princeton, NJ — 1994-2004
- Inaugural Product Manager for Factiva.com, an enterprise news database combining legacy products from Dow Jones and Reuters.
- Launched partner network that integrated Factiva APIs into corporate portals.
- Regional Sales Manager for Japan and South Korea.
University of California, Berkeley – BA, Social Sciences