UPDATE: After their epic win last night, here’s how the Cup spent last night in Vegas with the Washington Capitals.
After last night’s loss to Anaheim, the San Jose Sharks are out of the running. Might as well post some highlights from the checkered past of the world’s most famous trophy.
- In 1905, the Ottawa Silver Seven tried to drop-kick it over the Rideau Canal on the Ottawa River. (They failed.)
- In 1906, it went missing after a photography session. It turned out the photographer’s mother had adopted it as a planter for geraniums.
- In 1924, the Montreal Canadiens left it by the side of the road while changing a tire.
- In 1940, managers burned the mortgage of Madison Square Garden in the cup, which the Rangers won that year. (This occasioned a “curse” that kept the Rangers from the cup for 54 years.)
- In 1980, New York Islander Clark Gillies fed his dog from it.
- In 1991, Pittsburgh Penguin Mario Lemieux tried to float it in his swimming pool. It sank. (Colorado Avalanche goalkeeper Patrick Roy later did the same thing.)
- In 1994, Ranger Ed Olczyk filled it with oats to feed Kentucky Derby winner Go for Gin.
- In 1996, Avalanche defenseman Sylvain Lefebvre had his daughter baptized in it.
via Futility Closet.