After watching the HBO documentary about Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos, I’m all in everything about how she pulled the wool over so many eyes and got so many people (mostly older men points out my wife) to hand over their wallets. It’s a cautionary tale for the fast & loose culture of Silicon Valley that is starting to bump up against more traditional and heavily regulated industries such as medicine, banking, and transportation. Think of CRISPR, cryptocurrency, Space-X and Tesla as examples of projects that need to take extra care as they innovate so as not to lose the public’s trust.
Here’s my reading list:
- Bad Blood – by John Carreyrou – the book by the guy that broke the story
- The Vexing Inscrutability of Elizabeth Holmes – New Yorker review of the documentary
- Is There Any End to Our Obsession with Elizabeth Holmes? – even the journalists were caught up in her spell
- The Most Bizarre Moments From the Elizabeth Holmes Documentary
- We Need to Talk About That Theranos Investor’s Bitcoin Tie – why Tim Draper, why?
- What Does It Mean That Elizabeth Holmes Doesn’t Blink? – not much really
- Why Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes may have faked a low voice – about that “confusing baritone”
- Black Turtlenecks Are the Biggest Scam of All – black turtlenecks have no credibility now
- Anna Delvey and Elizabeth Holmes had the same tell: their hair – calculatedly unkempt
- Why we care so much about Elizabeth Holmes’s “bad hair”
- Don’t Believe Anything Elizabeth Holmes Tells You About Her Dog – Balto the wolf
- The Drop Out – ABC News’ 7-part podcast series.
- Where is Elizabeth Holmes now? – a popular search on Google these days
Leave a comment